WHY CHINESE TEA SUSTAINABILITY?
download: FIRSD TEA SUSTAINABILITY REPORT
Firsd Tea supports the sustainability work of the Rainforest Alliance, and Fair Trade USA through our commitments to China tea
• Morally right. Sustainability is the right approach for our Earth and future generations
• Good economics. Sustainable tea continues to be an economic driver for millions living in poverty in China
• Smart business. Consumers seek and trust brands committed to sustainability
CONSUMERS SEEK SUSTAINABILITY
The future of sustainability begins with today’s consumer.
• A rising tide of US consumers are in the process of finding ways to embrace sustainability
• Nearly 48% says they would definitely or probably change their consumption habits to reduce their impact on the environment
• 90% of Millennials are willing to pay more for products with environmentally friendly ingredients (Millennials represent 26% of American households)
SUSTAINABILITY WITH FIRSD TEA AND ZHEJIANG TEA GROUP (ZJT)
Firsd Tea and parent company Zhejiang Tea Group (ZJT) have displayed an enduring history of contributions to sustainability projects:
ZJT became China’s first USDA certified organic tea producer in 1989, and continues to maintain those high standards to this day, including compliance with EU and USDA food safety regulations
ZJT has been a partner of the Ethical Tea Partnership (ETP) since 2009. The ETP has provided training and monitoring of environmental, welfare, and working conditions of ZJT farms and facilities. The ETP has helped members’ supply chains achieve Rainforest and Fair Trade certification.
Many, if not all ZJT farms and facilities have benefited from the work of the ETP, Rainforest, and Fair Trade. Below are a few of the specific locations where sustainability initiatives have occurred over the past few years.
JIULONG MOUNTAIN TEA BASE
Rainforest Certified Jiulong Mountain Tea Base benefits from better pesticide management practices
Jiulong Mountain Tea Base is Rainforest certified to produce over 1.2 million kg of tea. Working under Rainforest’s guidelines, Jiulong enhanced their sustainable agriculture practices and pesticide management. The programs included proper use of personal protection equipment (PPE) and responsible agrochemical application, storage, and disposal.
ZHEJIANG ANJI HUADA TEA FACTORY
Anji Huada Tea Facility is an ETP participant and processes Rainforest and Fair Trade certified teas.
ZJT’s Anji Huada Tea Factory is a recognized participant in Ethical Tea Partnership programs. These programs focus on the safety and protection of employees, equitable compensation, and environmental protection practices. The Huada facility processes Rainforest and Fair Trade certified Gunpowder and Chunmee green teas.
FUTURE CHINA TEA PROJECTS
Huangdu Village and ZJT bring sustainability and poverty alleviation to 1,800 households
In April 2018, Huangdu Village of Anji County (Anhui Province) coordinated with ZJT to donate 18 million green tea seedlings to impoverished areas. Recipients included 34 villages across Hunan, Sichuan, and Guizhou Provinces. This donation of tea seedlings and the creation of tea farms seeks to further the sustainability of:
• Increasing incomes of villagers
• Poverty alleviation for 1,800 households
• Develop farms and facilities in accordance with soil and water conservation practices
Firsd Tea and ZJT are proud to share in the sustainability work in China of the ETP, Rainforest Alliance, and Fair Trade. We endeavor to make the stories of China tea sustainability a part of our clients’ sustainability message. For more information on how Firsd Tea’s sustainable teas can be part of your story of sustainability, please contact:
Firsd Tea North America